Volunteering with Maggs –
10.11.20 – Due to the new lockdown levels and ongoing social distancing measures we have had to reduce our volunteering opportunities. However, please feel free to contact Mariia Lata for updates.
11.1.21 – The telephones are not being monitored whilst essential building work is continuing so please DO NOT TRY AND LEAVE A RECORDED MESSAGE. Please email email@example.com
We are delighted that Maggs Day Centre and our volunteers have been recognised by the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service – the MBE for volunteer groups. Thanks again for all your tremendous work.
If you are considering volunteering at Maggs, please read on and see what makes it such a rewarding experience, or contact us 01905 25027 or by email.
Our volunteers, pre-covid, help at the Worcester Day Centre and the Worcester clothing project:
- Kitchen assistant: People help between the hours of 9 am and 3 pm to assist with the preparation, serving and clearing away of meals.
- Clothing project: People help with sorting and storing donations to our Clothing project on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9-12 noon.
- Professional roles: We are looking for professionals who can offer a specific service such as a hairdresser to be available on a regular basis.
Join in a project
We also need less frequent help with the following:
- Gardening: From time to time the grounds and bushes surrounding the day centre need some tender loving care. A bit of weeding or pruning is required.
- Painting and general maintenance: Less frequently we need to refresh and maintain the general environment of the day centre and activity centre.
We have suspended this service for the time being, but when it is safe to do so we will be looking for people who can commit to 1 or 2 hours a week on a regular basis to become part of our volunteer “active listening team”. Volunteers engage with the service users through conversation, listening for any concerns they may have about their personal well being. Specific training is required for this role. We run at least 3 training days a year but volunteers usually volunteer in the kitchen or clothing project first.
Due to the coronavirus, we are unable to schedule any face to face training at the moment, but we are looking to see if training can be done remotely. We will publish periodic updates.
We can offer student placements that are relevant to your course. In the past we have taken students of criminology, mental health and occupational therapy. While you are helping with volunteer roles, such as those outlined above, we can help with your research into issues around homelessness.
If you are interested in helping with any of these volunteering opportunities please contact our volunteer coordinator Mariia Lata on 01905 25027 or by email.