Volunteering with Maggs
We are delighted that Maggs Day Centre and our volunteers have been recognised by the Queen’s Award for Voluntary Service – the MBE for volunteer groups. Thanks again for all your tremendous work.
If you are considering volunteering at Maggs, please read on and see what makes it such a rewarding experience, or contact us 01905 25027 or by email.
We would love to have your help at the centre or the clothing project:
- Kitchen assistant: We are looking for people who can help between the hours of 8 am and 2 pm to assist with the preparation, serving and clearing up of meals.
- Clothing project: We need people who can help with sorting and storing donations to our Clothing project on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday 9-12 noon.
- Professional roles: We are looking for professionals who can offer a specific service such as a hairdresser to be available on a regular basis.
- Befrienders: We need people to engage service users in the day centre by playing board games.
Join in a project
We also need less frequent help with the following:
- Gardening: From time to time the grounds and bushes surrounding the day centre need some tender loving care. A bit of weeding or pruning is required.
- Painting and general maintenance: Less frequently we need to refresh and maintain the general environment of the day centre and activity centre.
This is a new initiative at Maggs Day Centre. We are looking for people who can commit to 1 or 2 hours a week on a regular basis to become a befriender to homeless people who are committed to making positive changes in their lives. Specific training and support is offered.
We can offer student placements that are relevant to your course. In the past we have taken students of criminology, mental health and occupational therapy. While you are helping with volunteer roles, such as those outlined above, we can help with your research into issues around homelessness.
If you are interested in helping with any of these volunteering opportunities please contact our volunteer co-ordinator Val Turner on 01905 25027 or by email.